Monday, August 20, 2012

Stay at home (super)Mom!

So I had a week off and decided to take a little staycation at home with the kids. The goal was to have Carson potty trained during that week and get some things done around the house. Things seemed to be going well when carson was potty trained by Monday afternoon. I remember thinking for a split second "now what are we gonna do?" since most of the weeks agenda was focused on that. Quickly things spun out of control and by Wednesday evening there was a tearful S.O.S. call made to my mom. What I didn't understand was how I could be so miserable at home spending time with my kids. I mean isn't this what people dream of? All those comments I get about "don't you wish you could stay home with your kids all day?" "don't you feel bad leaving them at daycare?" This week off was supposed to be "died and gone to mommy heaven" right??

I'm not sure if it's because I'm not used to being at home all day or if I'm dependent on the luxury of bein able to run errands "kid-free" sometimes, but trying to get things done while watching them was harder than anything I'm tasked to do a work. Mentally AND physically draining! We're talking that "I haven't sat down all day, been eating while standing while spooning while cleaning and slicing strawberries at the same time all day long" draining. And eventually I ran out of gas and broke down feeling guilty and confused. Why was this not heaven for me? Should I even consider having more kids? How do my stay at home friends do this??? Do they have really messy houses?? Do they have super powers?

I wiped away the tears and decided to just throw the kids in the car and head out to the playground for some fun. The kids absolutely loved the swings an I felt a sort of calm come over me. Until Carson Said "Mom I gotta go pee!" I quickly looked around to see if there were any outhouses near by. Where was Dad when we needed him for the "teach how to pee on a tree" lesson? Basically I took him near the woods and pulled down his pants and pointed at the tree. He looked at me like I had 4 heads and politely said "Mom I have to go to the bathroom!". I tried a few more times toget him to go on the tree without making a scene and finally packed the kids up
And crossed my fingers he could hold it util we got home. (he did).

Thursday I sent the kids to school for a bit to take a Xanax  breather. We were in the middle of re-financing our house and I didn't want to take both kids into the bank. Friday we decided to go to the zoo and take my niece and nephew too! We had a really nice time! So I came to the conclusion that if we just relax and do fun things, I really enjoy myself. But when I'm trying to get things done, and have all these plans, and nothing works out how I planned...I get really frustrated. I also realized that I'm constantly trying to pile way too much onto my plate. (why did I start blogging again??! Haha). I want to have a career, be fit, eat and cook healthy food, have a clean house, spend time with my kids, be a good wife, manage the entire house and finances, spend time at church and quiet time with God, take and edit photos, write a blog, wear fashionable clothes etc etc etc. it never ends. Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm go-go-go-go. I know it will all get crazier when the kids are in activities etc, so I'm gonna have to force myself to slow down sometime.

So if you have ever asked yourself "what do stay-at-home Moms do all day?" Do yourself a favor and never ask one of them that question. It truly is one of the hardest Jobs, and they do more than you could ever imagine. I'd love to hear some tips and tricks and how to get my hands on your super powers  from my stay-at-home friends. How in the H E double hockey sticks do you do it all?? Then the nerve to post pics of your kids eating Brussels sprouts to top it off...really??? Really?? How many Thomas toys did you have to pay out to stage that photo? Haha There was definitely some peace last night when I set my alarm to go to work. I thrive on schedules...routines..and a little "me" time. I know having a career makes me sane  the best mom I can be. I know I'm setting a good example for mmy kids and showing them how to work hard and support a family. I absolutely love my job and feel that I have a good work/life balance and a lot of time to spend at home w my kids. But seriously...I could use some super powers!

No comments:

Post a Comment